before i answer the question “are reusable cotton pads better?”, let me give you some background. cotton balls have been used since the 19th century, maybe even earlier for a number of reasons. it was originally used for medical purposes and artistic purposes, but quickly became a consumer item. the most common use was to remove makeup and cleanse your face. but according to wikipedia, it was even used to stuff a woman’s cheeks to make them look attractive.
top 8 issues WITH cotton balls or WET WIPES
- your cotton ball might not be made from 100% cotton. it was originally made of cotton cellulose fibres, but as with any large scale production, cheaper alternatives are used wherever possible and we are none the wiser. in the case of cotton rounds, the cheaper alternative is plastic/polyester fibres. so, unless your cotton ball pack says 100% cotton, it’s probably isn’t all cotton.
- COTTON IS GENERALLY GROWN WITH GMO MODIFIED SEEDS AND HARSH / BANNED PESTICIDES AND FERTILIZERS ARE USED, UNLESS THEY ARE GROWN ORGANICALLY. ALL THESE CHEMICALS COME IN CONTACT WITH OUR SKIN WITH EVERY WIPE.
- 100% cotton BASED COTTON balls are bio-degradable if you compost them. but if they have makeup or cleansing lotion on them, then it’s not great for your compost.
- WET WIPES ARE MADE FROM PLASTIC AND IT’S FULL OF HARSH CHEMICALS. THESE CHEMICALS COME IN CONTACT WITH OUR SKIN EVERY TIME WE USE ONE.
- THE PLASTIC END UP IN LANDFILL AND THE PLASTIC DEGRADE OVER TIME. bUT IT NEVER COMPLETELY DISAPPEARS. IT BREAKS INTO MICROPLASTICS AND POLLUTES THE SOIL, WATER TABLE BELOW AND THE AIR AROUND IT.
- THESE WIPES ARE GENERALLY PACKED IN PLASTIC PACKAGING WHICH ADDS TO THE WASTE CYCLE.
- THERE IS AN ONGOING COST OF BUYING A PACK OF THESE WHEN WE RUN OUT.
- single-use cotton pads AND WET WIPES are wasteful. it becomes a one way street of mass producing THESE FACE pads and we throw them out WITHIN MINUTES of use!
SO WHAT ARE reusable COTTON PADS OR REUSABLE makeup pads?
WHETHER YOU CALL THEM COTTON PADS OR MAKEUP PADS – THEY ARE THE SAME THING. THEY ARE REUSABLE REPLACEMENTS FOR YOUR COTTON PADS. THEY ARE GENERALLY MADE WITH 2 PIECES OF FABRIC SEWN TOGETHER. YOU USE THEM TO CLEAN YOUR FACE AND THEN YOU WASH THEM AND REUSE THEM AGAIN. EVEN CONSERVATIVELY CALCULATING, A PACK OF THESE REUSABLE FACE PADS WILL LAST YOU 2 YEARS OF USE. WE CAN 100% ASSURE YOU OF THIS WITH OUR face wipes AS THEY HAVE BEEN DESIGNED AND SEWN TO LAST.
WHAT’S SO SPECIAL ABOUT OUR REUSABLE WIPES?
whether you buy from us or from someone else, make a greener choice and switch to reusable, washable cotton pads. you can reduce your environmental impact whilst still taking care of yourself.